Khadi is a spicy Indian soup made with gramflour. This is made from ground
chick peas. Tharka is added for flavour. Ghee is an Indian cooking medium
made from clarified butter.
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
- 2 cups water
- 1 spoonful (heaped) gramflour
- salt to taste
- for Tharka:
- 1 tablespoon of Ghee or vegetable oil
- 2 ground green chillies
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1/2 a small onion thinnly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Corriander (a few leaves)
- Sift the gramflour into a bowl and put all the dry ingredients in.
Add the water a little at a time to make a thin soup. Add all this
into a saucepan and heat gently. Add the sugar if required.
- Put in the plain yoghurt and stir all the time until the soup
- Put on the Tharka mixture and stir well. Leave to cool.
- Make the Tharka:
- In a frying pan put in the Ghee until hot.
- Add the mustard and Cumin seeds.
- Throw in the onions until golden brown.
- The Tharka is to be put on top of the soup mixture.
- Add Corriander leaves on top.
This can be a simple soup or a light snack served with white rice made