This is also true, but there are some qualifications to be made.
© 2003 KryssTal
- The Iraqi invasion of Iran in 1980 was backed and supported by the USA and UK.
In 1988, during the Iraq-Iran war, the USA bombed oil facilities in Iran. The USA destroyer, the US Vincennes in Iranian territorial waters, shot down an Iranian commercial flight (Iran Air 654) in Iranian airspace killing all 286 passengers. The USA refused to apologise; vice president, George Bush was quoted in the magazine, Newsweek: "I will never apologise for the United States of America. I don't care what the facts are".
- Under the Ottoman Empire (before World War 1) Iraq and Kuwait were ruled as part of the same province. Kuwait was split off from Iraq by the UK who controlled the region. The reasons were that it would be easier to control the Arabs if they were split into several countries rather than if they were a unified nation.
Both Iraq and Kuwait had kings imposed on them by the UK. Iraq deposed their king in 1958. There was therefore a historical and cultural link between Iraq and Kuwait that was not widely reported during the 1990 invasion of Kuwait by Iraq. After the 1991, "liberation" of Kuwait, the non-democratic monarch was re-instated.
- The USA has bombed many countries (Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Iraq, Afghanistan) giving many reasons including Communism, terrorism, drugs, fundamentalism. Most of these actions were against the wishes of the international community. United Nations condemnation of these actions has often been vetoed or ignored by the USA.
- The USA has invaded many countries including Panama in 1989, Granada in 1984, Cuba in 1961, Haiti in 1965. These invasions have often been in violation of United Nations wishes. Various reasons for the invasions were given (Communism, Drugs, Terrorism, Democracy, Fundamentalism) but the real reasons usually involve looking after USA business, military or political interests.
- Israel invaded and is occupying Palestine (since 1967) and part of Syria (since 1973). Israel is the largest receiver of arms and aid from the USA. The USA has vetoed countless resolutions calling on Israel to withdraw from the occupied territories.